Wednesday, August 29, 2007

We have been doing a series in church called "Satan's SexED". Basically its about what lies this culture has fed into our relationships and marriages. I was floored when I heard the statistics on our kids theses days.

-In the U.S., 1 in 4 sexually active teens become infected with an STD every year.
-The average age of teens having sex is 13 years old. Yes, 13!!
-The United States has the highest rates of teen pregnancy and births in the western industrialized world.
That wasn't all of them... but I can't find my notes! Grr!

We have an amazing pastor that puts issues like this out in the open for all of us to think about. He believes firmly that the so-called "sex talk" is not just a one time discussion and that we need to talk to our kids earlier about it.
I never had the "sex talk" with my parents and I think that made me more curious. Because of that, I have always said I was going to be super honest with my children so they (hopefully) won't make the same mistakes I did. I want to encourage all parents to think about that subject and talk to your kids about it. It could be the best thing you ever did! Don't think your elementary kids don't know about sex... they do and they need to know the truth about it, not what the Devil wants them to know.

Alright, I will stop preaching. Just talk to your kids!

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks girl! I talked with Sarah about it alittle today. I wanted her to know that it is a good company, just that things are a little rocky between me & the boss. I think she is going to do great! I'm excited to have her working with me.

Oh, and as for the sex talk...I know it is coming & I am dreading it. You'd be amazed what Madi already knows!

whatagem said...

I don't understand how our society became so relaxed so fast. On Laugh-In (NBC 1969), the censors prohibitted them from saying "Pregnant" and "Hump". So the cast was forver telling camel jokes to make up the difference.

Stephanie said...

Damian is supposed to be getting stars too. We are getting 7, for the 7 stars represented in the book of Revelation.

I really want Ami from Miami Ink to do them ;)

When are you coming to Macon?!?

Stephanie said...

I also want Kat or Kim to do a tattoo also, it's just that Ami's favorite thing to tattoo is stars, so I figure he should get the honors :)